Monday, September 1, 2008

First Day of Fasting Ramadan

Ramadan Kareemun Mubarak to all of you "celebrating" Ramadan today. Yes, today is (was for some of you) the first day of fasting. As is to be expected, my mouth feels like sticky cardboard - after the third day that kinda goes away. When one thinks about the blessings of the sacrifice though, it is easy to make peace with a cardboard tongue - it is kind of like a badge of honor.

Probably many of you are expecting me to make some exotic meal to break my fast with - a lamb and rice dish with sides of hummus and chutneys and salads. Sorry to disappoint you - it's Hot Pocket night for me (the 4 cheese one).

I haven't found any dates yet (edible ones folks - mind outta the gutter, we're fasting here), so I will actually break fast with plain water, pray, then eat the Hot Pocket. You see, people? It doesn't have to be complicated. Besides, that 4-Cheese Hot Pocket is basically nothing more than "Mana'eesh bi-Jibnah" except that it only takes 90 seconds to make!

I wish a successful fast to everyone inshallah!

No comments: